What if I told you, that you could eat a piece of delicious pizza, minus the carbs, plus more than three quarters of your daily vitamin C intake in a serving of vegetables….what would you say?? Well, here it is; cauliflower crust pizza. This pizza is amazing, there just isn’t a better word to describe it. Your favorite comfort food, extra cheesy and warm, but no carbs. I know what you’re thinking, “am I dreaming, is this real life?” It’s real, people. And it’s really freakin’ good. Cauliflower makes the perfect crust substitute, it has an easily adaptable flavor, and it holds the crust shape beautifully. Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables, meaning cancer-fighting as well as anti-immflamatory and anti-oxidant rich. Basically, cauliflower is the Beyonce of vegetables…and all hail Queen Bey!
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 20 min Serves: 2-4
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1/4 cup parmasean cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 45o degrees and place baking stone or large baking sheet lined with greased parchment paper in oven
- Wash then thoroughly dry cauliflower. Cut off stems and place florets into food processor and chop until cauliflower resembles snow-like texture. Place chopped cauliflower in microwave in microwave safe bowl. Cook for 4 minutes then dump into a clean kitchen towel and allow to cool
- Once cooled, squeeze out excess water. Make sure completely cooled or you will burn your hands. Dump squeezed cauliflower into a bowl then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well, using your hands works best
- Once mixed together, place dough ball onto the parchment paper or hot pizza stone. Form a pizza shape with dough and pat down thoroughly. You don’t want it o be too thick or too thin
- Place into oven and cook for 9 minutes. Remove from oven, add desired sauces and toppings then place back into oven and cook for another 6 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes before serving
Yeah, you read that right. Crispy, crunchy cauliflower with a sweet honey garlic sauce, mmm. Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables to make recipes with because of how versatile it is. It’s great for crumbling or ricing, cauliflower steaks, even pizza crust! In this recipe the crispy cauliflower bites are the perfect vehicle for soaking up this sweet, savory sauce. The sauce is so good-I really did lick my bowl clean!
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 30 min Serves: 2-4
- 1 small cauliflower cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 2 scallions finely sliced
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 6 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tbsp water plus 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
- *optional* 1/2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spreak panko into a thin layer across the baking sheet. Spray panko with cooking spray and bake crumbs until golden, about 7 min.
- Set whisked eggs aside in small bowl and line a separate baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip bite sized cauliflower into egg mixture then shake off excess egg (very important) before placing into sheet with panko crumbs. Cover cauliflower with panko pressing gently to help crumbs coat cauliflower completely. Repeat until all cauliflower is coated.
- Bake for about 15-20 min until coating is a dark golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the sauce on the stove. In a small bowl completely dissolve the water plus cornstarch and then set aside. Add all other sauce ingredients to small saucepan and bring to gentle simmer. Then add in cornstarch water to sauce and stir immediately to fully dissolve cornstarch.
- Stir sauce occasionally to ensure no clumping and continue to stir until sauce thickens. Once sauce is thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken even more while cooling.
- Drizzle over cooked cauliflower.
If you wish to coat cauliflower completely in sauce, it is best to double the recipe for sauce and brush onto cauliflower with pastry brush. Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.