Vegetable tempura makes my heart smile. Vegetable tempura that can be cooked and on my plate in 15 minutes or less? Now that makes my heart sing, ‘ceeeelebrate good times, come on!’ This tastes just like the vegetable tempura I order religiously every time I visit my favorite sushi restaurant but I get to enjoy it from the comfort of my couch. This is a recipe you can really have fun with. For this recipe I used carrots, broccoli and avocado but some other options would be radishes, sweet potato and button mushrooms-but you can really add in anything you want to eat! This vegetable tempura is so quick and simple to make you can now have amazing, restaurant quality tempura at the snap of your fingers!!! And by having dinner cooked in 15 minutes, you’ll have lots of extra time for you!!
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 min Serves: 4
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sparkling water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil over high heat then begin to prepare vegetables
- Wash and peel vegetables, slice away tops and ends of baby carrots, trim the ends of the broccoli, etc.
- In large bowl, combine all batter ingredients and whisk together until just smooth. Dip in the vegetables and ensure they are evenly coated then shake off excess batter
- Using a slotted spoon, add several vegetables at a time into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to overfill oil with vegetables, they will stick together. When the batter has puffed up, carefully remove vegetables to a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Repeat until all vegetables are cooked and placed onto paper towel.
- In the meantime, make dipping sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients and whisk until combined. Serve tempura immediately with individual bowls of dipping sauce